Thursday, July 23, 2009

The mandatory generic Palin blog

A Palin post from a blogger may not be original, but in my defense, I was mocking Sarah Palin before it was popular.



It took me a couple views of various videos of Palin explaining herself to understand why Palin is willingly resigning. From the news stories, all I heard was "analysts believe" or "speculation suggests" Palin was resigning in the interest of running for president in 2012 (coincidentally, the year of the apocalypse, according to the Mayan calendar). I thought I'd try to check it out for myself, and thus subjugated myself to Palin's incoherent ramblings.

After reviewing the carefully calculated photo-ops of Palin in overalls, I've come to the conclusion that she's running away from Alaska before she does anything stupider than usual. At least, that's all I can figure out. Much like the vice presidential debates, she rotates between irrelevant tangents and memorized flash cards (in the above video, the lines are "energy independence," "national security," and "small government" -- you get a virtual prize if you're the first one to comment with the correct number of times she repeats her flash card lines to avoid answering the interviewer's questions).

Okay, readers, you caught me: that may or may not be speculation. Quotes:

- Palin claims she's escaping "politics as usual." Somebody please tell me what this means. To me, that means she's become a media darling for her stupid one-liners. The American public needed a new scapegoat for stupidity after we knew Bush was stepping out of office. So, I'm thinking she doesn't want to be in a political office where people judge her actions. Instead, she wants time to give well-planned quotes instead of on-the-spot decisions, so when journalists ask for her celebrity opinion on events, she and her publicists can come up with the most intelligent-sounding quote.

- The title of the video above is "I am not a quitter; I am a fighter." Yeah. Because you can do so much more for your causes out of office without gubernatorial, executive power than with it. Face it, Caribou Barbie; nobody resigns from public office (except for personal reasons, such as family or health) unless he or she is trying to save face.

- I paraphrase, but she mentions something about how being out of office is more productive than being in it. First reaction? See the above bullet. But when you think about it, it makes sense in some ways. Remember Nixon's pardon? A lot more time and energy would have been spent for Nixon's trial that would have been unnecessary, and I support the pardon. Palin may have some ethics allegations, but she has no official charges. My guess is the longer she's in office, the more time officials will spend looking for dirt to dig up when there may not even be any. The point is Palin probably doesn't want the extra attention on Alaska at the moment.

Or on herself, if she's getting ready for the White House.

One last bit: if she is looking at furniture for Pennsylvania Avenue, how bright is it to resign now? She was most heavily criticized for lacking political knowledge, which most people blamed on not having enough political experience. Of the presidential candidates and their running mates, she had the most executive experience. Now, she have even less experience. Then again, Obama was able to work his toothy-grinned charm enough to get elected with little experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment