Monday, July 20, 2009

Want to be like Jean Grey? Mattel can help.

First off, welcome to the new location of my blog. My former blog was all about hot button topics in politics, so my first post should appropriately have nothing to do with that.

So, it's no secret I have an unhealthy love for anything related to superheroes. Still, it's not as though I'm alone in thinking that maybe a moderate amount of a superpower would be entirely badass. Well, this fall, you can buy a superpower.

I kid you not. Mattel -- the manufacturers of the Barbie doll -- has created a game in which you channel your telekinetic energy. The Mindflex, as it's called, sells for $80 and is available for sale in a few months.

Here's how it works: the toy, which is about two or three inches tall and has the diameter of a soccer ball, comes with small hoops and planks to form a miniature obstacle course. The object of the game is to navigate a foam ball the size of a golf ball through these obstacles. To do this, the player wears a headset that clips to his ears. As he concentrates, the brain waves lift the ball up by increasing the air force from within the toy (think of the effect of Marilyn Monroe standing over a vent; the wind was the force that blew the skirt up). When the player relaxes, the air decreases and the ball is lowered.

Okay, so it's not real telekinesis. But consider this:

This is an object that you control WITH YOUR MIND. Nothing is touching the toy except YOUR MIND. Scifi, meet reality.

Readers, if you're feeling generous, I won't tell anybody if you start sending me money so I can save up $80 to buy this thing. The Mindflex may only be a simple obstacle course, but you control it WITH YOUR MIND. Nothing is more badass. Save your first-person video games with complex plots; I'm satisfied with a ball, a hoop, and the ability to navigate and object WITH MY FREAKING MIND.


No comments:

Post a Comment